RECIPE: Carrot Cake
This moist, cinnamon-spiced carrot cake is topped with whipped coconut cream and our crunchy Paleo Granola. A super easy recipe that requires minimal ingredients and can be thrown into one bowl ... (don’t we love that!)
You can use any flour and any milk, and finally use up those old carrots at the bottom of your fridge.
Perfect for a party or those afternoons when you're craving a cup of tea and something sweet.
~ Gluten free & Vegan ~
- 200g buckwheat flour (any will do, but we love this one)
- 100g ground almonds/almond meal
- 200g coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1.5 medium carrots (about 250g) peeled and grated
- 50g raisins
- 300ml milk of your choice
- 50g melted coconut oil
- 1 cup cashews soaked overnight (or in hot water while you make the cake)
- 1/3 cup chilled coconut cream solids**
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- Dash of vanilla
**To separate the coconut cream, place the can in the fridge overnight and don’t shake it before opening. Scoop out the thick layer at the top — this is the part you want for the icing.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a round cake tin with coconut oil or line it with baking paper.
- Put all of the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and stir until well mixed. Add the carrots, raisins, and then the milk and coconut oil. Stir everything together until the mixture is golden brown and nice and sticky.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Turn it onto a wire rack and leave to cool for another 20-30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the icing by blending all the ingredients for a few minutes until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Spread the icing over the cake and sprinkle with our Paleo Granola or your favourite superfoods.