RECIPE: Walnut Strawberry Summer Salad
Technically strawberries are a spring fruit. But with summer peeking its head around the corner, it felt like the right time to throw together a fresh salad to dig into as the days get warmer. If you’ve never added strawberries to your salad, then allow us to introduce you to a flavour sensation.
This salad has it all — the peppery rocket, the juicy berries, the crunchy walnuts, the smooth cheese and the citrus punch.
Fresh rocket and spinach will make a world of difference. So will activated walnuts. Walnuts that have been sitting in the cupboard or shelves for a long time will probably be rancid — that’s why they sometimes have a bitter taste to them. Activated walnuts give an incredible crunch, taste a lot fresher, and are easier for your body to digest.
You’ll definitely be making this incredible summer salad on repeat. And the best part is that it’s really quick to make.
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups rocket
- 1/4 cup mint
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes - halved
- 1 cup strawberries - halved
- 1 cucumber - sliced into discs
- 3/4 cup Activated Walnuts
- Fresh chilli - chopped (add as much or as little to suit your likings)
- 1/2 cup crumbled cheese (goats, gorgonzola, blue cheese, feta or vegan cheese)
- 1 lime - juice and rind
- 1 Tbsp honey or maple
- 3 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Throw all the salad ingredients into a large bowl except for the cheese and walnuts and set aside as you make the dressing
- To make the dressing: whisk the lime juice, rind, and honey together in a bowl. As you're whisking, slowly add in the oil and mix until it is well combined
- Pour dressing over salad and throw together
- Add crumbled cheese and activated walnuts on top